Tuesday 28 April 2015

Workshop- Methodology

Methodology- a system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity. 

In graphic design methodology the way you go completing a project and solving a problem. 


How having a methodology effects me being a graphic design student? 


efficiency with your time 

more targeted approach 
research collecting information and funnelling it 
what is it that you are trying to get out of it?
moving your work on 
test my understanding 

Whilst your design practice outlines the procedure that you adhere to when doing design projects, methodology aims to interrogate these procedures in terms of their effectiveness and sustainability. 



My Methodology: 


My methodology for design is normally quite straight forward, but I feel as if I need to add more concept to my design in the future instead of just making things look good. 

Before I start to design I need to know how much time I have and plan my time so I can use it efficiently. Time is an important factor when it comes to design but planning it can be even more important and valuable. Making the most of my time is crucial. 


Research into the topic and project gets you thinking and develops your design in the long run. Thinking the ways in which I research for the particular project is essential. If I am primary researching with a questionnaire I need to make sure I am asking all the right questions and am I going to get the answers I need to develop my design to become more conceptual and valuable. My secondary research usually involves the library and the internet. I would like to develop my research practice by holding more interviews as I find them valuable. When researching I normally aim to find out something I didn't previously know, making my knowledge larger, collecting information and funnelling it effectively into my designs.  


Sketching is another big part of my methodology, thinking of how I would like the end product to look like. If it is going to be a print product I need to think about what stock, what sort of document I need to create and how I am going to bind it before I start my design. Designing for print can get quite tricky remembering all of the small things such a bleed and making sure everything is in CMYK for it to print correctly. 


Designing and mocking up ideas ready for crit for feedback and development can completely change your idea and make it a stronger concept. Getting other peoples thoughts is essential when designing as I am designing for my work to be out there in the real world so I need to know what people think of it. 


Mocking up, testing and putting my work in concept is valuable to see where it would fit in the real world and whether the target audience it correct. I need to review and evaluate my work and it's effectiveness.



3 aspects of your feedback/ assessment that you wish to develop and identify. 



A more focused investigation of specific areas of Graphic Design would help you to make more effective and informed design decisions. 

I would like to investigate further into grids and publication in the future as this is something I am interested in and I feel would develop my design. 

You have shown a consistently high level of project management, organisation and
documentation of individual and collaborative projects.

Documenting my work can sometimes take longer than actually designing this is something I would like to get better at, actually documenting my work in detail faster and do it as I design so I can add more comments about my problems and issues. 

In order to improve I suggest developing your approach to research and using this deeper research to inform interesting and unique design work.

Deeper research is something that I want to do as sometimes I do just research on the surface and then design, deeper research would make my design have more depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment