Friday 18 October 2013

Brief 1 Alphabet Soup- Design Skills


Today I have had my final crit, here are my final ten letters that i have come up with, working with the word 'existence' and the font helvetica. 

From top left 
a / leaf - the first thing i noticed about the 'a' in Helvetica was that the eye of the 'a' looked like a leaf, this was perfect as human can not exist without plants as they produce oxygen.
o / planet- for this one i kept it simple and just added a planet ring around the 'o' to represent the existence of other planets, saturn is the only planet with a planet ring. 
p / ghost- here i went for a cartoon style for a ghost and put it into the letter 'p'.
b / rocket- to keep in with the space and universe theme i decided to put the rocket as the eye of the 'b'
o / alien- here i took the eyes of the alien and put them in the 'o' this is to represent whether people believe in aliens or not. 
e / humans existence- humans existence on the planet and universe is very minuet so i have shown this by making the eye smaller in the 'e', also i have moved the eye and placed it where the earth is in relation to the solar system.
i / stars- from the crit people liked the idea of the universe and the existence of stars that you are looking into the past, so here i created an 'i' using stars.
x / hell- here i replicated the unknown existence of hell with some simple devil horns.
a / time- this one i wanted to show the existence of time in someway, so i edited the Helvetica 'A' and tried to make it have a medieval theme. 
j / mermaid- here i have tried to replicate the existence of mermaids by adding simple features to the letter 'J'.

Overall, I think they work well as a set, there are some stronger than others and ones I prefer. I think the rocket and star ones are my weakest, but I like the simplistity of the 'a' leaf and the 'o' alien eyes. 
The final crit was useful, as they all liked the idea of the leaf 'a' and think I should develop this further, and look into the veins of leaves when I start to think about digitalise it. However I have asked a few other people including my flat mates what they prefer and they seem to think to go with the alien theme, i need to experiment which would work better for the next brief to digitalise them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment