Thursday 28 November 2013

Brief 1: Experiments



From looking at Urban Outfitters illustrative techniques that it is their photo fromaes it then made me look into a paper illustrator that i like called Rob Ryan. He makes these massive paper cut outs that takes him ages to cut out as they are so detailed. I like how hand rendered it is, I really like the text on them as each letter is different, below I have experimented with my own paper cutting I did quickly advertising Marks and Spencers, I think it has worked well, I many try this with photographs however all this will need to be scanned in as it all needs to be resolved on photoshop. 




Kate Moross
I have been heavily inspired by the urban outfitters designs, I think they have captured my attention because they are aimed at my age range. Their designs reminded me of Kate Morross' work which I love, because it is so illustrative and playful. Below are a couple of Kate Morross' designs that reminded me of the brand urban outfitters. 


Below are a few film photos that I took in Prague with a blue tinted film, I think this would suit the Urban Outfitters theme well, however when scanned in and enlarged they will go blurry. 






Above is a quick experiment that I tried with my film photo and just some hand typography and doodling, I have used tracing paper as I think it give the film photo some extra opacity and masks it, I like this idea but again I would have to scan it in and experiment further in photoshop. 



Here is a quick experiment with the brand Topshop, I used one of my photos and added the logo, I was just dying to see whether it would fit well, and I think it does as it looks like one of their posters.  

David Hockney
When looking at photo frames for the montage ones I saw I and the idea of putting all different photos in the different frames to build up a picture a bit like the technique that David Hockney uses to make his 'joiner' photos, below is an example.  




Above I experimented with the technique myself with my flat mate, it hasn't worked s well as I would go liked and I think it is a difficult thing to do, I find it interesting how Hockney used to do it with film and had one shot at it, it was hard enough doing it digitally. 


Above is one of my final experiments, I'm not sure whether I want to actually brand this as Urban Outfitters. The logo on my experiment above is the current logo, they change their logo alot! I have also used the font 'pacifo' for the '6x4' I think it works well with the logo. I have decided to put the image in black and white as it will then go in any frame and I feel it has a higher impact and simplifies it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment