Monday 4 May 2015

Studio Brief 02 - Covered - Research and ideas

Research 

I chose this book as it is a book I have read it before for the advertising essay I did in first year and I referred back to it for my media essay I wrote this year. I went to the library and looked at McLuhan in general and looked at his book covers. I realised just how dull they were. 


The above is McLuhans most recent version of understanding the media. It features colour and reminds me of blurred electricals maybe TV’s or something. The type is boring and just put in the middle. 










Ideas




Research

From what I have found out about McLuhan I have decided to look into 60’s psychedelic posters, as they are decorative, normally use 2 colours and I generally like the hard to read type on them. This is the quote I found that inspired me to look into 60’s posters. 

Victor Moscoso

Victor Moscoso was the first of San Francisco’s “Big Five” psychedelic poster artists to create his own poster series. He named it Neon Rose. Moscoso had approached the owners of The Matrix (the San Francisco rock club where major bands like The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, and Big Brother & The Holding Company played), offering to give the club 200 free posters for each Matrix show if he could print as many others as he could afford, and sell them. They took the deal.
 Moscoso’s Neon Rose posters for The Matrix brought his work international attention during the Summer of Love 1967. He had pioneered the use of vibrating colors to create the ‘psychedelic’ effect in poster art. About that Moscoso said, “The musicians were turning up their amplifiers to the point where they were blowing out your eardrums. I did the equivalent with the eyeballs . . .”







Wes Wilson

Wes Wilson (born July 15, 1937) is an American artist and one of the leading designers of psychedelic posters. Best-known for designing posters for Bill Graham of The Fillmore in San Francisco, he invented a style that is now synonymous with the peace movement, psychedelic era and the 1960s. In particular, he is known for inventing and popularising a “psychedelic” font around 1966 that made the letters look like they were moving or melting. It was very common by the 1970s.




No comments:

Post a Comment