Thursday 20 November 2014

Brief 3- A brief history of… website Evaluation

This brief has been interesting; I have enjoyed learning about the limitations of web, grid systems and types of websites. However, I am a bit disappointed that I didn’t learn much about coding, but from what I did learn it has made me realize just how difficult coding can be.

As we had to design a website based on our summer brief and my summer brief was quite broad there was various topics I could design my website for, I wanted to be quite specific as it would make my target audience quite specific. I had various ideas for the website, including a travel website, a website based on chalkboard art and a sign writing website after various crits and discussions I decided to go for the sign writing website. I chose this to design this website as in the summer I interviewed a sign writer and he said that he doesn’t get inspiration online he gets it all from books which I feel like is a shame because there is so much hand rendered type and sign writing inspiration online there just isn’t one place to get it all from. Also through out my though research I realized that most sign writing websites look dull, boring and uninspiring. I wanted to design my website for the target audience of young creatives, to inspire, appreciate the art of sign writing and to keep sign writing alive. 

I created many scamps looking into website layout and web safe grids, I wanted my website to be a bit like a blog as the content would be constantly updated. I started to research into types of websites, what’s popular and what would suit my content best. I decided to go for a single page website with links to videos, interviews articles ect. I needed to keep my user interested so I decided to use a lot of bright colours for the buttons and colorful imagery. I started to experiment with logo designs for my website, I wanted my logo to be simple and show sign writing in some way. In a couple of crits I got feedback on the logo/heading that I should do it in hand rendered type, I decided to go against that as I feel there is so much imagery of hand rendered type/ sign writing that the logo should be something much more simple.

I started to digitally moc up my designs; I tried to keep my designs as simple as possible with the possibility of coding it. I tried to keep it simple by using one font and a simple grid as I have no idea how to code. I found out that we didn’t have to code the website in the end, this was a relief as there really wasn’t much time to learn it at all, but also a disappointment as it was something I was really looking forward to doing in second year, in the future I may look into coding myself.


Overall I am happy with my design, I enjoyed learning about user experience within web, how users interact with websites and what makes a good and bad design. Learning about the limitations within web has also been interesting; I now appreciate web design a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment