Tuesday 4 November 2014

Sign Writing Logo Experiments


I need a logo for my website, I am going to create this as an image because then I won't have to worry about web safe fonts. Above I have sketched out a few ideas by hand. 


I started to experiment on illustrator with a few ideas I have had. The first idea I had was to use a hand rendered type, I think this makes sense to do as the method of sign writing is all done by hand however as a lot of the imagery is going to be of hand rendered type I think the logo/heading should be something more bold and recognisable. So the second idea was quite simple with a simple type and lines to lock in the logo, I like this however it reminds me a bit like a newspaper heading or something. The third idea I had was to add shadows on to the type as a lot of sign writing actually has shadows on it to make it bold, I tried it with helvetica heavy and it worked well. 




I started to experiment with the idea of just having a shadow for the logo, I think this could work, the only thing that I would be worried about is that it wouldn't be legible enough. 

I wasn't sure about using colour in the heading as the images will include a lot of colour 

Here I have made a few colour experiments with primary bold colours as these colours are mainly used within sign writing. 



I don't think I am going to worry about colour yet, I think the colour will come when I have sorted out my content, but I would like the website to be bright, however it might just be bright enough with just the images. When working with colour though I do need to bare in mind what are web safe colours and what are not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment