Friday 10 October 2014

Study Task 4- Branding Considerations

When you first start to brand a company research is key. Researching into other areas of the market is essential not only to see what your up against but to understand their brands also. For my client I researched in various areas of lemonade, the high street brands such as 7up and spite to looking on Behance at the smaller lemonade companies and comparing the designs. As this guy is setting up his business on the beach I figured it needs to appeal to a wide range of people, young and old. From all of the research I did into lemonade companies they are all aimed at everyone and they work well, many are simple yet effective and the vast majority use the colour yellow. This company are yet to have any sort of logo or branding which I think is a good thing as I can have a fresh approach to the brand.

The branding and logo it's self needs to be simple yet easily recognisable, like many lemonade logos. I am going to use the colour yellow within my design, although yellow is not a great colour for a logo I feel as if it will emphasise the lemon factor and make it more eye-catching. Colour is such a big part of logo design as it depicts many moods of something. Yellow normally symbolises happiness, optimism, clarity and warmth, all connotations I want within my lemonade logo. While researching I noticed that a lot of the smaller lemonade companies there branding included yellow and blue. I don't want to use blue within my designs as I feel as though it is a very obvious colour to go with yellow. For my colours I am going to go with yellow and grey, although grey is a very dull colour for a beach I still want to keep the branding modern. Grey will balance out the yellow well in the logo. 

The typeface of a logo is also a very big consideration when designing, the typeface not only has to work well in the logo but also throughout the branding. Simple and clear typefaces tend to work best, however I need to keep the brand unique and recognisable at the same time. Not all logos have typefaces, some have symbols that work with a typeface and the symbol is just as recognisable. Logos tend to have to be reproduced in many different scenarios so there reproducibility and adabtibily has to be remembered through out designing. For the lemonade company there are many things the logo will need to be produced on, for example cups, t-shirts, leaflets and the lemonade cart it's self. 

The lemonade cart needs to be branded well be bold and advertised well. My adverts for this company would be purely hand rendered type but in a fun way, the adverts may include puns and posters with sayings like 'when life gives you lemons'. This branding needs to be anything but serious. I feel as if hand rendered type will be suitable for all ages, recently it is becoming a fashionable way to communicate with many billboards including it will illustrations and also big brands such as Tesco are even using hand rendered type on there carrier bags making it appeal to everyone. 

Even though this company is only a lemonade cart one day it will expand into a much larger business. To make this business larger I think they will need to push there branding onto a digital presents, they will definitely need some sort of website and various social networking sites to get the brand talked about and expand onto a larger platform. 

This company would be successful if the branding was fun, friendly and appeals to everyone on the beach. They will be making budget lemonade and the prices wont be too high. The logo needs to be adaptable for many scenarios such as web and adverts it also needs to be suitable for printing on to various items such as cups and t-shirts. This brand needs to be anything but serious but I would like it to have a modern twist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment